To produce clear speech a child needs to be able to hear the difference between different sounds as well as be able to make individual sounds. This is called discrimination and it is one of the most important skills your child needs to master for learning to read as well as talk.
We have divided this page into two sections. In the first section, you’ll find some online games for your child to play. These games are graded listening tasks and early phonics tasks.
In the second section, you will find some activities for you to complete with your child to encourage good sound discrimination to help their reading and talking.
These games are to help develop your child’s ability to tell the difference between sounds and work out where sounds are in words. Both these skills are important for speaking as well as reading.
There are five different levels:
- Pirate Island Helps listen for single sounds
- Circus Helps identify sounds in simple words
- Haunted House Helps discriminate between socially unfamiliar words
- Racing Helps identify sounds at the beginning of words
- Submarine Helps identify sounds at beginning and end of words
Use these games to encourage your child to hear single sounds and identify sounds at the beginning and end of words.